As boring as it may be, it's my life. You live life and learn as you go along. So hop into my life and enjoy the ride! (You don't want to forget to buckle up, sometimes it's one heck of a bumpy ride!)

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Teenagers .... bring 'em on

My niece and I are very close. Ever since she was little she's been more like a little sister than a niece, and I've been more like an older sister than an aunt. When she was young, she'd say, "you aren't my aunt" ... which would always hurt my feelings. But then she got older and could explain that I wasn't like an aunt, I was like a sister. Which I was ... I spent my breaks from school with her, etc. My sister is 12 years older than me, and I'm 14 years older than Kaylie ... so it's kind of the same.
So she tells me EVERYTHING, more than I'd ever want to know. She comes to me for advice, comes to me when something's wrong, when she breaks up with a boyfriend, any and everything. She calls me when she's out, comes over a lot to "hang out" (mostly she eats). She's now 16, which isn't the easiest of ages ... not to mention, she has that funky birthday where you can either start school or wait a year. They started her, so everyone in her classes are a year older. So I've been called late at night with crises, over normal teenage things (so and so said this about me). I've been called when she's at a party (when she shouldn't be) where everyone is drunk and she doesn't know what to do because she just has her learners permit (at least for a couple more weeks) and she knew better to drive without a license with a car full of underage drunks. (That night a friend that was sober came to get them) She knows she can tell me and ask me anything and it goes nowhere UNLESS I feel she's in danger, and then I will tell her parents.
So tonight we're at Bart's cousins having our annual Christmas party, and Bart's cell phone rings (I told her I wouldn't be home, if she needed me to call him), he hands it to me. She was just calling to talk, she was bored. I told her I was at Bart's cousins and I couldn't just talk that I was sorry. Made sure everything was okay, then hung up. Then during dinner (embarrassing) the phone rings, hands it to me ... she had been drinking (1.5 beers) and was just calling again. I excuse myself from the table, tell her no more drinking, she'd had enough ... and that I was in the middle of a family dinner, do not call again unless you need me. Then walk back to the table. Gave Bart back his phone and rolled my eyes.
So we ate (YUMMY food), had desert, some people had left, and we were just sitting around chatting. The phone rings, Bart answers ... then hands it to me ... "Abby, I'm sorry for calling (sobbing), but can you please come and get me?" I find out what's wrong ... it seems her boyfriend got trashed, did some pot (which she was NOT happy about) and started yelling at her. Called her a whore, told her she sleeps around, and other bad things I'm not even repeating. I said, we'll be right there ... but we're an hour and a half away. I told her to call her parents. She wouldn't because they'd be mad (like I wasn't), so I asked to talk to Rodney (the boyfriend) and she wouldn't let me, because she's afraid it would make it worse. So I found out where she was ... A HOTEL!!! I apologized, and we left to get her! I called her back as soon as we got in the car, and this time I got to hear Rodney in the background .... I SO wanted to get my hands on him!! How dare he talk to my niece that way!!!!! I told Kaylie to get away from him (I was afraid of what he'd do), to go to the lobby where there were people around. I told her we'd get there as soon as we could, but to stay away from him. Hung up ... she calls a little later to let me know he left and she was thinking about just staying there. Ummmm no! We are coming to get you, you are NOT staying in a hotel where pot had been smoked, and minors were drinking! Geesh!!!!
So finally we get there ... she comes out, gets in the car and UGH the smell!!!! So she gets my lecture on the way home. She kept saying I know I know ... I didn't even want to be there, but nobody would take me home. Again I said, that's when you call your mom! (Right, like a teen is going to do that)
We get home, I get her clothes to put on and throw all of hers in the washer. Tell her to take a shower, but she wouldn't. She ate, and then started watching a movie. By now it's about midnight .... around one the phone rings, Bart answers and it's my sister looking for Kaylie, worried sick! Bart said she's fine, she's here. And Brenda said, tell her Brian is on his way to get her and hung up!!!!!! Great! It was my understanding she had called her parents to let them know she was staying with me, but they were asleep. It was also my understanding they thought she was staying at a friends house. So I didn't bother calling my sister because of the time, and I didn't want to wake her to worry her over nothing. It seems my sister had been calling everywhere for FOUR hours looking for Kaylie, and finally her friend told the truth! So again, Kaylie gets another lecture from me ... she said her parents are over protective, blah blah blah ... everything I thought at that age. And she said, they thought I was at Britney's. (Did I mention her cell phone was dead, and she didn't charge it when we got home like I told her to?) So now I'm like great ... I'm in trouble too! Kaylie's freaking not knowing what to tell them ... hello, the truth works! I explained how telling the truth not only shows responsibility but she would get in less trouble. But no, she was still running stories through her head. So Bart gives her the telling the truth speech, and how we were in trouble too. That she didn't like ... she almost cried, she looked at me and said, "I don't want you in trouble, I'm sorry". I said, just tell the truth ... you know I won't lie for you. If your parents ask either Bart or I questions I will tell them the truth, it will sound better coming from you. Then I said, you don't need to be worried about me being in trouble ... I've been in trouble before, not a big deal. You need to worry about what you did tonight, and know what could have happened. Of course gave her a hug, told her I loved her, and if I had to do the whole thing over I would. (She said, I wouldn't!)
So Brian shows up, walks in .... "Kaylie get in the car, and apologize to these two for involving them in your drama" Out the door she went with Brian behind her yelling already. I felt horrible, I would have had her home had I known that's where she was to be!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home