As boring as it may be, it's my life. You live life and learn as you go along. So hop into my life and enjoy the ride! (You don't want to forget to buckle up, sometimes it's one heck of a bumpy ride!)

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Today was the day of all days

The day I FINALLY got my tattoo!!!!

Can you believe it? After 14ish years of wanting a tattoo, today I went and got it!!! I went last night and spoke with the owner, took my design, and asked a few questions. I really wanted it on my foot ... that's where I've always wanted one, but I was concerned about the proper healing time. He said I would need a good five days of no shoes, and then after that as little shoes as possible. Since it's winter, and since we'll be traveling to China soon (I hope) I thought it would be best to rethink the location. I decided to get it in the middle of my lower back, and do the foot another time!

So today I went in, and was ready for some serious pain ... but to me it was relaxing! The position I was sitting, the calming noise of the needles, the sensation on my back ... it was calming!!! I so could have slept though the whole thing!

And to top it off, the artist that did my tattoo was the legendary Zeke Owen!!!! He's studied with the best of the best, and has worked in A LOT of impressive places. (This man has over 48 years of experience!!) I was extremely fortunate to have him do my work! Not to mention he's a great guy, very interesting to talk to! And did I mention he does WONDERFUL work? He started his tattooing in where else, but LA around 1958. At that time his idea was to improve the tattooing procedure to a level that would be clinically acceptable. He's happy to finally be able to prove to the world that they (being tattoo artists) can perform their art with a sterile chain of events. He's extremely proud to be a part of the 5000 year old history of tattooing!

I plan to go back and see him (forgot to take a tip for him, and while our chat I thought of something he'd like better than money), to drop something off to him. I feel honored having him work on me, and very honored to have met such a legendary, intriguing man!

Of course a part of me was sad that I did this "monumental" (to me anyway) thing without Shyam being there. We've been planning this for months, but he can be there for the next one! :) And of course I called his cell phone first thing when I was finished, not that he'll get the message ... but it made me feel good! :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I want to see I want to see. I've been wanting to get one on my lower back for a while now but just haven't done it yet.

8:13 PM

 
Blogger Abby said...

Check your email ... :)

6:56 PM

 
Blogger Becky said...

I saw it! Awesome!!!

8:26 PM

 
Blogger Sarah .B. Scott said...

What did you end up choosing? Congrats!

10:07 PM

 
Blogger Abby said...

I got the Chinese symbols for Destiny

3:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home