As boring as it may be, it's my life. You live life and learn as you go along. So hop into my life and enjoy the ride! (You don't want to forget to buckle up, sometimes it's one heck of a bumpy ride!)

Friday, January 20, 2006

The code that fell

I get a blood gas from this little old man, go to the ICU to run it, get the results ... everything is normal, so nothing needed to be done. I entered all the information into the computer, and as I was finishing up Andy walks in. So we started talking and he puts his hand up (saying be quiet for a minute), and quietly says "I think I heard something". It wasn't much longer until there it was again ... CODE BLUE, BED 28 ED (hard to hear in the ABG lab for whatever reason). So without a word, we both jump up and start the "Code Blue run".
The ICU is on the 2nd floor right above the ED, so we head to the stairs ... which usually, I take anyway because it's quicker unless the elevator is ready. First let me say .... I don't know how Andy goes down stairs like he does ... he flies, those 23 year old feet don't touch the floor!!! So our the door he goes, and shortly I do too ... well, kinda .... I trip over the uneven floor of the stairs and the door, and fall! Andy stops, turns around to make sure I'm okay ... and I am laughing saying yes, run! One, I feel like an idiot, and two, find it funny because I'm such a klutz these days! I go to get up, and OUCH ... toe!!!!
My toe (the fifth metatarsal, I think it is) is actually more part of the foot than the toe, but anyway ... it's been broken before, so I know the feeling. So I go hobbling off to the Code, which I walk in and there are 2 therapists so I'm not needed (good, I needed to sit). Andy looked at me and asked again if I was okay, and I said yes, but I think I broke my toe ... he just shook his head. And of course everyone in the code heard it, so the story had to be told! Geesh!
Later Andy had to look at my toe (like it will fix it or something ... no really, he's a really nice guy), and agreed it was probably broken. Luckily my shift was about over and I could go home and get off my feet!!!!

Of course Bart wasn't happy I didn't have it x-rayed at the hospital and looked out. (Which, yup should have) And he was mad I didn't fill out an accident report (which, right again!). So I explain to him this isn't the first time, blah blah blah ... I know what to do, etc. Then he points out, workmen's comp ... duh! Totally wasn't thinking I might need to miss work and would need workmen's comp. Ooops! Well, I work again Monday ... so I'll see if I can still fill out the form, etc ... especially since I had a witness. But Bart insists I go to Urgent Care in the AM to get it looked at!

And if you're wondering about the code ... freaky one, they called it ... then the dude came back to life!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home