As boring as it may be, it's my life. You live life and learn as you go along. So hop into my life and enjoy the ride! (You don't want to forget to buckle up, sometimes it's one heck of a bumpy ride!)

Monday, November 07, 2005

Dr. Appointment with my new doc

After spending all my time worrying about this appointment, I made it! Let me just say that I have never met with a doctor that was willing to spend so much time to explain processes, various drugs and how they work as well as side effects. Various ways to treat various problems, etc. He was extremely knowledgeable pharmacologically as well as medically ... and I think this will benefit me in the long run.

Let's see ...
My change in meds:
He didn't like the high dose of Paxill I am (was) on, and decreased that to 60 mg a day.
He didn't feel the Klonopin was doing much for my anxiety, so he increased that somewhat.
He also added another SSRI that works very well with Paxill, Effixor (which he kindly gave me samples of!)
I'll be weaning off my Ambian as it doesn't seem to help, and it's not really for long term use.

We talked about PMDD ... unlike my last Dr., he is very familiar with this disease ... which I was relieved to hear. He said unfortunately there isn't a set thing to do to ease it, you have to try various things out. He mentioned various things I could do (some of which I have). He mentioned going to my family doctor and seeing if she would prescribe a diuretic for me to take the week before and week of my period since I gain 3 to 5 pounds during that time. He said there has been studies that the water weighted gained, water logs the brain. He also suggested taking B6 and motrin during these weeks. Of course the usual ... no caffeine. No biggie. Only bad thing mentioned was NO CHOCOLATE unless it's white chocolate! UGH!! No chocolate during your period ... only a man would say that one!

We talked about my anxiety and anxiety in general. He explained the two types of anxiety, which of course I have BOTH. We talked about how it's treated, etc. And also how it's one of those you have to try and see what works things. (See a pattern here)

We talked about depression. And of course he encouraged me to go back to counseling, that it is a very important part of depression ... sometimes more so than the meds. So I got that appointment set up.

He asked many many questions .... some odd, but he had his reasons.

I told him about having a high pulse at times, and he didn't like the number I told him it got to at all! He wants me to see a cardiologist and have it checked out. He said most likely I will need a Beta Blocker!!!! Never in a million years did I think I'd be seeing a cardiologist at 30!!!!!!!!!
Another thing he wants me to have done is a sleep study .... he thinks I might have something called restless leg syndrome. Never heard of it ... but I shall be researching it, not to worry. He said this would account for my frequent headaches, constantly moving my legs, and shaking and kicking in bed. This could also be the reason I'm always tired, and never feel well rested.

Sooooo, that's that. A bit overwhelming to say the least, but it's over with .....

Next appointment next Wednesday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dawnree said...

Abby I am soo glad your appointment went well!! I had a good feeling about it! I will continue to pray for success with your new regime!!!!!

6:01 PM

 
Blogger Abby said...

Thanks Tunester!!! :)

8:43 PM

 
Blogger Becky said...

YEAH! so glad things went well. And it will KEEP getting better ;)

My girlfriend down here has restless leg syndrome. I can get information for you and what she takes. This is the first meds she has ever taken that really help her.

9:49 PM

 
Blogger Abby said...

Thanks Becky! :)

3:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home