As boring as it may be, it's my life. You live life and learn as you go along. So hop into my life and enjoy the ride! (You don't want to forget to buckle up, sometimes it's one heck of a bumpy ride!)

Friday, September 17, 2004

What a way to spend Friday .....

and a rainy Friday at that! I got a call at 850AM and ended up going into work ... I'm way too flexible! Seems I have "charting issues" ... give me a break!!!! I was give a big FIVE patients to see first rounds, and THREE second! I was hovered over by my supervisor (the male one) which I totally hated, especially since he kept taking notes! He got on me as I started to go into room #2 to start the treatment because I didn't enter anything into my handheld .... so I had to stand there and enter the start of the treatment (waste of time). By the time I had one more patient to do I was getting ready to go into the room and he got on me AGAIN for not charting IN the room as I did everything. First of all ... to me, that's rude .... I'm not going to stand at a patients bedside and ask questions and enter into a handheld, I'm sorry! I'd rather ask them in conversation and write it down and enter it later. So I simply said to him, I can't do that, it's too overwhelming for me. Don't you think that would be enough? Nope, he looked at me and said overwhelming, how could that be overwhelming .... how's your breathing on a scale of 1 to 10, enter it in, etc. To that I said, I'm not sure what you don't understand about it's too overwhelming, but I'd be more than happy to get a note from my doctor explaining it!!! (At this point I was beyond mad ... and wasn't in a good mood to start with.) Now get this .... his response .... I don't need anything from your doctor, it's just a matter of if you can do the job or not, and if you can't you might need to reconsider career's! EXCUSE ME!!!!! Let me back up and remind you the previous hospital I worked at was over 2 times the size of this one (probably more like 3+ times), and we were worked to death! We did the work of at least 2 therapists! So having someone give me crap about not being able to do my job .... don't go there! When I know more during a code then anyone in the room (and I mean anyone) there's a problem ... when I am called into a patients room when they're having a problem and the nurse is freaking and has no clue what to do .... I know, stay calm and control the situation. My patients love me, I get compliments left and right .... so don't tell me I can't do my job!!!! And a little background on the supervisor who I knew when he was a therapist .... sloppy work, did enough to get by (if that), and slept most of his shift. He might know his stuff ... but didn't show it in his work!!!!!!!!!!! So after rounds I did my oxygen rounds and we ventured down to the department. Thankfully there was someone in the department so he left me alone for a break!!!!!! I was told to go to breakfast and then come to his office. Once in his office the "talk" began!!! Let me tell you, it was hard to sit through this .... I almost just said forget it and walked out, but knew better! Half the things I got "talked to" about were things nobody bothered to tell me during my "orientation". I guess I'm just suppose to know these things somehow. I was going by my previous hospitals protocols, which of course are different. But he didn't seem to care. He actually said, "I don't know if you're lazy, unorganized, or just don't want to adjust" I tried to bite my tongue, and did for the most part, but I spoke my mind and informed him that I was NOT lazy, very organized (hello look at my assignment paper), and not wanting to adjust ... not the case! OVERWHELMING TO CHART AS I GO!
It helped that I could vent to some co-workers who pretty much don't like him ... didn't like him as a therapist and can't believe he's a supervisor nit picking tiny things. So I'll play the game until they're finished looking over my shoulder. I did find it rather funny that I'm not good enough to come off orientation; however, I'm good enough to work the weekend as scheduled. Explain that one would ya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home