As boring as it may be, it's my life. You live life and learn as you go along. So hop into my life and enjoy the ride! (You don't want to forget to buckle up, sometimes it's one heck of a bumpy ride!)

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Burned in our memory

September 11th ... our world changed. All of America sat stunned watching TV wondering what would be next. There was the first plane, then the second ... then the Pentagon, lastly the plane that went down in PA.
I remember being asleep ... I had clinicals at the hospital that night. The phone rang and Bart told me to turn on the TV. Still groggy from sleep I try and focus my eyes on what I was seeing. Not believing what I was hearing on the TV and on the phone. My first thought ... my uncle! He works in the Pentagon every other week ... thank God that wasn't his week! The plane went right into his office! My cousin, also a pentagon worker ... wasn't in office that day. Who would do this kind of thing??
I lit my candle and sat it outside ... made sure it stayed lit, and oddly enough it did. There was a sorrel silence when you went outside ... a deadening silence that gave you chills. Usually when I walked out of my home there were many nature sounds .. crickets, birds, etc. Not today .. only fighter jets flying over my home. (I lived minutes from camp David)
My husband at work ... minutes from DC. Our safe country no longer felt safe ... especially living where we lived.

A girl I went to high school with worked in the second tower that was hit, her body was never found. She was a vibrant young women, engaged, with the world at her hands ... a world taken from her, for what?

September 11th, a day many grieve. A day many lost loved ones ... a day etched into our memories forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home