As boring as it may be, it's my life. You live life and learn as you go along. So hop into my life and enjoy the ride! (You don't want to forget to buckle up, sometimes it's one heck of a bumpy ride!)

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Family and funerals

Today was my cousin's funeral, my heart sinks as I even write that! 44 years old, divorced with an 11 year old beautiful daughter! A heart attack ... can you believe that, a heart attack!!!!
Yesterday at the viewing I saw family members I haven't seen since my wedding 8 years ago. It was nice to see them, but I wish it wasn't in that way. But isn't that how it goes? I also say many people come and go, heard a lot of great stories, and was amazed at the amount of people who came to the first viewing!!

Today ... I was truly amazed and touched by all the people who came from all over the country for Chris. You could tell his friends, they looked like mobsters all in black with sunglasses ... all BIG MEN! You could tell some of them were seeing each other for the first time in many years. To think they drove and flew in from all over for a funeral! What does that tell you?? That tells you what kind of person Chris was! He was the dependable friend you called no matter who, what, where, or when and knew he'd be there. He was the one that would make you laugh, and be there when you cried. He was a genuine friend in the true sense of the word to so many.

I learned a lot about Chris today, I knew he was a great guy ... how could he not be? He's part of my family, raised by the sweetest parents ... my aunt who is looking more and more like my Grandmother every time I see her! I knew he loved football ... but so many said it was more than a sport to him. It was being with his friends enjoying life. He loved being surrounded my those he loved. A story that was echoed a lot during the past few days was also told at the funeral ... Chris loved food (and let me tell you, his mom can cook!). Every time he'd come home he'd just open the fridge door and just look in awe. When asked what he needed, he always replied ... "Nothing Mom, just taking it all in.". He savored the moments of his life ... which helped me know that even though he left WAY too soon, he savored each and every minute her was here.

So many will miss him, so many will remember him, so many will smile when they think of something he said or did ....

Marsha (his sister) said it perfectly ... Chris is going to get to heaven and Aunt Mary is going to ask him if he brought any of that good food! :)

My beliefs are odd, I'm not sure I believe in that ... but it makes me smile! And I do know, they are all looking upon me.

I found peace today, something I needed, as this hit me hard. I found peace by being surrounded by my abundant family and being reminded I do have the greatest family around! I found peace by hearing stories from his friends, and I found peace by knowing that Chris enjoyed every single second of his 44 years!!!

Love you lunchmeat!!! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home