As boring as it may be, it's my life. You live life and learn as you go along. So hop into my life and enjoy the ride! (You don't want to forget to buckle up, sometimes it's one heck of a bumpy ride!)

Friday, September 03, 2004

Another day another dollar

Well today I had a different supervisor (we'll call her jane), not sure my feelings on her. She's very detail oriented which isn't a bad thing really.
I started out the day okay .... felt anxious to start out with, almost cried on the way to work, but talked myself out of it. I think it was the aftermath from yesterday. I get to work ... get my assignment and get report, get the meds I needed ... so far so good. Then I had to do the thingy on the computer .... did that and uploaded my patients into my handheld. Jane then asked to see my paper and looked it over... made some notes and off we went. On the way to the floor I had I told her I would need help with 2 things ... one, I wasn't familiar with one of the medications I was giving. It's new and I didn't know how to give it to the patient. And two, I had a trach patient that needed a speaking valve inserted and it's been probably 3-4 years since I've done that since I work nights.
We get to the floor she tells me to check my orders (like I didn't know that) and to do the treatments on the one side first. She suggested checking 2 orders, then putting them on .... take them off, then check 2 more, etc. Personally I prefer checking them all at once but of course I can't do that ... 2 at a time! What happened to personal preference? So that's what I did .....
She also told me to chart as I went along and she would drag the computer (laptop on wheels) behind me and check on it. So I go into the first room ... she goes in with me!!! WHAT! The other supervisor didn't do that, just stayed outside the room when he was around. It made me extremely uncomfortable, like I was a student or something. And let me add here .... not profesional in my opinion ... she'd take calls (supervisors carry a phone) while in the room with me! Hello, step into the hall!
Well I'd get my patient started ... write my info on my paper ... go out into the hall and chart. Go to the next patient do the same. Then I went took off the first patient, went into the hall and charted the end treatment, and etc.
With her tailing me and making me so nervous it took me twice as long to do everything. And then she wanted to take a breakfast break prior to doing oxygen rounds. I don't really like a breakfast break ... I eat before I go in and I'm good until lunch. So I asked if I could do oxygen rounds and meet her in the cafe. Stupid me ... what was I thinking? No no no ... she needed to be there!!!!
So we're walking to the elevator and she says ..... "here's what I want to see during your oxygen rounds and the next rounds .... you charting as you go, as in get the information and enter it into your handheld, don't write it down. Use the gel or wash your hands before and after each patient. (okay I know that's how you're supose to do it ... but why? If you do it before the first patient, then after the first ... and after everyone thereafter why do you have to do it before as well? Your hands aren't getting "contaminated" going from one room to another!!!!!)
So breakfast break it was .... but first we had to go to the department to run the ever popular reports so she could look over them during breakfast and make sure there weren't mistakes, etc. So that we did ... and everything was perfect.
I'll spare you the boring oxygen and second rounds complaining.
A little before 2 I was finished and off to the department. Jane had to do a eval so I was in the departement to run my reports, etc. I was even running them without being told! The stupid printer would not print!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally after others had trouble as well, we figured out the problem and fixed it. All was well. So there we are ... 3 of us printing our reports, the bad thing is .... only one person can hit print at once! UGH!!! Finally I got mine printed ... looked at my numbers and they looked fine. Jane came in .... ran her reports for the next shift coming in so they would have there assignments when they walked in. Finally about 3 or a little before she decided to look through every single paper that I printed. There started the red pen (yup, she even used a red pen) circling all my mistakes and uncharted and unbilled things. Let me tell you .... a lot of mistakes. So I fix them ... she looks again, finds more ..... fix those, she finds more. So instead of getting out at 3, it was 430! And want to hear the funny part? (which of course I HAD to point out to her) ALL the mistakes were from when she made me chart "properly". Can you tell me what is wrong with writing the information on your paper and charting after you're finished with each round? It's what I did at my last job and had no problems. And when they don't want you to write anything on your paper .... how can you have information to give the person in report??????
They claim they are going to start cracking down on the "proper charting" because most of the staff doesn't do it as they go along. Hmmmmm, what's that tell you? So you're going to write me up for doing my treatments, etc on time and right, giving good patient care, and getting all my information charted ........ but not charted "properly"??????? Fine ... write me up!! I'm doing my job ... I'm not falsifying records ... I'm just charting how I'm comfortable and how it makes sense to me. Don't tell me I can't do it ... and don't tell me once "busy season" comes I won't have time to do it that way!!!!! The hospital I worked prior to this gave you 3-4 times as much work to do and I had no problems. Give me a break!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home